Sunday, February 19, 2012

Hymn for Sunday - O Love that wilt not let me go

A few years ago Bryan Duncan put out an album called "Quiet Prayers," tied to the "My Utmost for His Highest" anniversary celebration. It is by far some of my favorite music, wonderful for background, contemplation, and the right kind of meditation. Highly recommended, and although out of print, it is available used and download. I really need to track my copy down.

One of the songs on it was "Oh Love That Will Not Let Me Go." I was thrilled when I stumbled upon this hymn at the Oremus Hymnal this week. Between the words themselves and the ABAAB structure of the stanzas, this is a nice selection.



O Love that wilt not let me go

Words: George Matheson, 1882
Music: St. Margaret, Consecration, Wyke
Meter: 88 886


O Love that wilt not let me go,
I rest my weary soul in thee;
I give thee back the life I owe,
that in thine ocean depths its flow
may richer, fuller be.

O Light that followest all my way,
I yield my flickering torch to thee;
my heart restores its borrowed ray,
that in thy sunshine's blaze its day
may brighter, fairer be.

O Joy that seekest me through pain,
I cannot close my heart to thee;
I trace the rainbow through the rain,
and feel the promise is not vain,
that morn shall tearless be.

O Cross that liftest up my head,
I dare not ask to fly from thee;
I lay in dust life's glory dead,
and from the ground there blossoms red
life that shall endless be.

(Taken from an entry located at the Oremus Hymnal. This work is in the public domain.)

No comments: