Saturday, November 25, 2006

But You Don't Look Any Different

My son told me today "Daddy, you don't look any different than you did when you were 35." Of course, since my birthday was yesterday, I would hope not.

But, if you were to compare now with, say, my engagement pictures, you'd see several differences--shorter (and whiter) hair, the beard, a few wrinkles, and a few extra pounds, just to name a few.

I think our spiritual life is like that, too. It's hard to measure sanctification on a day-by-day basis; it's only when we look back over time that we can see God working in us to make us more like Him.

Now if I were to look exactly the same as I did 12 years ago (assuming that I'm not Dick Clark), something would be wrong. In the same way, if my life spiritually looks the same as it did back then, I think you would be hard pressed to say that any growth took place. And in fact, I would argue that if no growth is evident, you ought to question whether there was ever a birth.

So as this body slowly deteriorates, I'm reminded of the change that is happening on the inside, and I praise God for that.

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. (2 Cor 4:16, NIV)

3 comments:

Patrick Chan said...

BTW, happy belated birthday, Matt! :-)

Even So... said...

Hey Gummby, we had a great time, thanks....

Anonymous said...

You look a whole lot different than you did 36 years ago! You were even cute back then. We are so thankful for your life Matt!