Saturday, January 28, 2006

Evangelical Outpost takes Brian McLaren to Task

Great post from Evangelical Outpost: The Saltless Servant:
Brian McLaren and the “Homosexual Question”


It's scary to me that anyone who calls themselves a pastor can say something like "Frankly, many of us don't know what we should think about homosexuality. We've heard all sides but no position has yet won our confidence so that we can say "it seems good to the Holy Spirit and us." That alienates us from both the liberals and conservatives who seem to know exactly what we should think." and then still think they can be taken seriously.

There are a lot of issues here, but "I'm not sure what the Bible says about homosexuality" is not one of them. At least some liberal churches are honest by admitting what the Bible says, and then saying there is a reason to ignore it (I'm not advocating that; I'm just saying that McClaren appears to be suffering from a deep form of deception).

I'll be saying more about this issue, as I'm sure a few of you are interested in my take on the JBU thing (if you haven't heard about it, you soon will).

HT: Blogotional (who also gives his thoughts on McClaren)

Update: See also Carla's note today, which includes a reminder that she's been talking about this for quite some time on EmergentNo, for those who have had ears to hear. The gals writing there have taken A LOT of flak for their stand on the troublesome teachings emerging from the Emergent Movement. (Carla, if you happen to read this, is there a way to get a sampler of ENO posts that you think encapsulate McClaren's teachings?)

3 comments:

Ron Henzel said...

At least he's sure that we shouldn't be sure about it either.

pruittcommunications said...

I have to agree, the issue seems disambigious from a biblical point of view. I am slightly sympathetic those who don't have a biblical background, but surely McClaren is not in that category. You might want to check out my own post on the subject.

http://pruittcommunications.blogspot.com/2006/01/leadership-blog-out-of-ur-brian.html

Carla Rolfe said...

I honestly didn't mean to make that sound like "look at ME". The fact is, I'm a Johnny Come Lately when it comes to folks sounding the warning about McLaren.

A sampler of McLaren posts at ENo? Whew, tall order but I'll see what I can do. I'll post it there when it's done.

SDG...
Carla