Monday, October 10, 2005

Terrible Translation

I present this as part of an occasional ongoing series on translation. Great article on the perils of Bible translation according to someone's agenda.

I want to be clear here. I am not making a direct comparison between the TNIV and any of these other "translations" (and I use this term loosely, especially as you get closer to the bottom of the article). My purpose now is not to weigh in on the TNIV (Lord-willing I will one day).

I just think it is worth noting that as translators move further and further away from the original words of the text to its ideas, they can more easily allow their agenda to dominate the text, and so distort it beyond recognition.

I echo the thoughts of Gene Edward Vieth, with the exception of the TNIV (& to a lesser extent the NRSV), that "These translations are not the Word of God. Just the Word of Man."

No comments: