Monday, November 14, 2005

God's Sovereignty over Conception

A few years back, I wrote this to encourage a friend who was having trouble getting pregnant, and later for a relative who had gotten pregnant right after getting married. It's funny how often good, biblical advice can come around full circle.
***
I was thinking about your situation, and I wanted to share a couple of the things I’ve observed from the Bible.

First, I am convinced from looking at Scripture that God is intimately involved in the birth process, right from the beginning. In these verses, it talks about God’s active involvement, and His plan for us.

Isaiah 49:5
And now the Lord says-he who formed me in the womb to be his servant to bring Jacob back to him and gather Israel to himself, for I am honored in the eyes of the Lord and my God has been my strength-

Psalm 139:13-17
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

Jeremiah 1:5
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."

His plan even includes the time and place for us to be born. He knows and decides exactly when and where each of us should come to be.

Acts 17:24-26
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else. From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live.

Second, there are several passages that clearly demonstrate that the Lord controls the process of childbearing. I’ve included one sample passage, but there are many times in the OT where something like this happens.

Genesis 20:17-18
Then Abraham prayed to God, and God healed Abimelech, his wife and his slave girls so they could have children again, for the Lord had closed up every womb in Abimelech's household because of Abraham's wife Sarah.

Finally, I love this passage from Psalms, which speaks to the way we should view our children.

Psalm 127:3-5
Sons are a heritage from the Lord , children a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate.

The bottom line is this: God controls the process of conception, and is involved in it all the way through. He chooses to bless us with more children through His great goodness and mercy. God made the decision to send you this blessing, and although it may not feel like the right time, it always is. Congratulations, and we will continue to pray for both of you during this pregnancy…and beyond.

Scripture taken from the HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 International Bible Society. Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved.

No comments: